A VA Mortgage is a loan that is guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This loan is also known as a government mortgage. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) helps Service members, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. The VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms.
Who qualifies for a VA Mortgage?
The borrower must be active, reservist or Veteran from any branch of service with an Honorable discharge.
Advantages of VA Loan:
- Zero down payment required
- Can be used multiple times, on multiple properties (with certain circumstances)
- Seller can pay up to 6% of sales price towards closing costs and pre-paids for the borrower
- No monthly Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI)
- VA-guaranteed loans can be combined with second mortgages and are assumable upon qualifying by any future buyer.
Eligibility for a VA Mortgage:
- The Veteran needs to supply their DD 214 or Certificate of Guarantee
- Minimum credit score of 620
- Only people allowed on the title and loan are the Veteran or the Veteran and a spouse.
For additional information, click here to view our mortgage application checklist.